Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Some Wisdom From Lucy Maud Montgomery

Lucy Maud Montgomery is most famous for her book, Anne of Green Gables and all the sequels that ensued. She taught me a lot about life and a lot about me. Really, classic children's books carry more wisdom than most pop literature out there right now. Enjoy, and do go read her books!


“It's been my experience that you can nearly always enjoy things if you make up your mind firmly that you will.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

“It's not what the world holds for you. It's what you bring to it.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

 “I'd like to add some beauty to life," said Anne dreamily. "I don't exactly want to make people KNOW more... though I know that IS the noblest ambition... but I'd love to make them have a pleasanter time because of me... to have some little joy or happy thought that would never have existed if I hadn't been born.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne's House of Dreams

 “Oh, sometimes I think it is of no use to make friends. They only go out of your life after awhile and leave a hurt that is worse than the emptiness before they came.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Avonlea

“That doesn't sound very attractive," laughed Anne. "I like people to have a little nonsense about them.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of the Island

“I can't help flying up on the wings of anticipation. It's as glorious as soaring through a sunset... almost pays for the thud.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

“We pay a price for everything we get or take in this world; and although ambitions are well worth having, they are not to be cheaply won, but exact their dues of work and self denial, anxiety and discouragement.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

“Next to trying and winning, the best thing is trying and failing.” ― L.M. Montgomery

“Those who can soar to the highest heights can also plunge to the deepest depths and the natures which enjoy most keenly are those which also suffer most sharply.” ― L.M. Montgomery

“I do know my own mind,' protested Anne. 'The trouble is, my mind changes and then I have to get acquainted with it all over again.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of the Island

“It's not vanity to know your own good points. It would just be stupidity if you didn't; It's only vanity when you get puffed up about them.” ― L.M. Montgomery, The Story Girl

“Fairyland is the loveliest word because it means everything the human heart desires.” ― L.M. Montgomery, The Selected Journals Of L.M. Montgomery, Vol. 3: 1921-1929

“The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland.” ― L.M. Montgomery “Having adventures comes natural to some people", said Anne serenely. "You just have a gift for them or you haven't.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Avonlea

1 comment:

Jana said...

Ahhh, I have the weirdest question. I LOVE the Anne of Green Gables series and recently came upon the "“It’s not what the world holds for you. It’s what you bring to it" quote online. I'm trying to figure out where in the books it's actually written - do you know? Or is it just in one of the film adaptations? Any help you can offer would be GREATLY appreciated!!